AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   28.01.14 6:51

Susan wrote:

Who is the headliner in Canada? However, nice read:  

"Northcote, Dave Hause Sharing Tour Space"
http://www.cbc.ca/nb/mt/east-coast-music/2014/01/northcote-dave-hause-sharing-tour-space.html

Wait, really? I have never heard of a switch like that happening on a tour before. Unless Northcote is vastly more popular than Dave in Canada it seems kinda ridiculous. Or is this all a joke/mistake and I'm just not aware? haha.

On an unrelated note. I have a question regarding "Worry". Bascially I want to know if I'm losing my mind, haha.

I never listened to the song before last Friday night, even when all those videos went up from the EU/UK tour. But, when they played it on Friday and I heard the line "I don't know where it's going, but I like where we are." I was like "hang on, I think I know this song". I felt like it was a song I'd heard when I was younger, not recently, maybe in the 90s. I was sure of it. Then I find out it's a Northcote song and only about 5 years old. Am I losing my mind, or can anyone else think of a song with a VERY similar line in the chorus? Like a song that would've gotten radio play? Or does anyone know if there's any chance Matt released it under a previous band and that this was like a rerelease? Or am I just losing my mind?  scratch 
Back to top Go down
XNYCEMTP
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   28.01.14 17:42

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
On an unrelated note. I have a question regarding "Worry". Bascially I want to know if I'm losing my mind, haha.

I never listened to the song before last Friday night, even when all those videos went up from the EU/UK tour. But, when they played it on Friday and I heard the line "I don't know where it's going, but I like where we are." I was like "hang on, I think I know this song". I felt like it was a song I'd heard when I was younger, not recently, maybe in the 90s. I was sure of it. Then I find out it's a Northcote song and only about 5 years old. Am I losing my mind, or can anyone else think of a song with a VERY similar line in the chorus? Like a song that would've gotten radio play? Or does anyone know if there's any chance Matt released it under a previous band and that this was like a rerelease? Or am I just losing my mind?  scratch 

Shelby,

I don't really know you, so you could be losing your mind Very Happy 

Anyway...this might be a stretch, but the only thing I could think of was Paul Simon's "Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard"...the chorus has a line that goes something like "I'm on my way, I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way". You would definitely have heard it when you were younger.

Just a thought.
-Steve
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/smb601#
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   28.01.14 19:48

XNYCEMTP wrote:

Shelby,

I don't really know you, so you could be losing your mind Very Happy 

Anyway...this might be a stretch, but the only thing I could think of was Paul Simon's "Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard"...the chorus has a line that goes something like "I'm on my way, I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way". You would definitely have heard it when you were younger.

Just a thought.
-Steve

Haha, I think I am. I have heard that song but that's not it. I spent a good 30 minutes googling songs with similar lines, and there's a LOT of them, but so far no dice. It's not even just the line, the music sounds very familiar too. I don't understand it and I probably never will. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   28.01.14 20:52

More canadian press about the tour:

"Northcote and Dave Hause Launch Canadian Tour In Moncton"
http://musicnerd.ca/northcote-and-dave-hause-launch-canadian-tour-in-moncton/

Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   28.01.14 21:23

Haha, I think I am. I have heard that song but that's not it. I spent a good 30 minutes googling songs with similar lines, and there's a LOT of them, but so far no dice. It's not even just the line, the music sounds very familiar too. I don't understand it and I probably never will. Oh well.

Well, there's always the possibility it's the Matrix...

"How much like it? Was it the same cat?!"  Wink 

-Steve
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   29.01.14 23:39

Wait, really? I have never heard of a switch like that happening on a tour before. Unless Northcote is vastly more popular than Dave in Canada it seems kinda ridiculous. 

Seems like they really did the switch (from Northcote´s twitter):

Quote :
We have arrived in Halifax for tonight's show @CarletonHalifax Mike Bochoff 9pm @hausedave 9:30 NC at 10:30

Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   30.01.14 3:33

Haha, maybe it was Steve!

And that's so weird about them switching. Although I suppose it would be weirder for Dave to headline when Northcote is bigger there. What a humbling experience it must be to suddenly switch places.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   30.01.14 23:34

Another Canadian tour announcement:

"Ottawa POTW February 2nd – Northcote and Dave Hause at Mavericks"

http://www.thescenemagazine.ca/ottawa-potw-february-2nd-northcote-and-dave-hause-at-mavericks/#

Nice: "Stay tuned for an interview with Dave Hause!" Will do.

Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   06.02.14 20:27

Susan wrote:

Nice: "Stay tuned for an interview with Dave Hause!" Will do.

And here it is:
http://www.thescenemagazine.ca/dave-hause-is-the-jack-kerouac-of-music/
Wink
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   08.02.14 8:17

Is it April 4th yet?
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   01.03.14 22:00

First full band Devour tour show tonight, fingers crossed for some youtube videos!

Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   02.03.14 16:00

Susan wrote:

First full band Devour tour show tonight, fingers crossed for some youtube videos!

I second that. There are a number of short videos on Instagram and the show looks amazing from those, so I'm really hoping there are some actual recordings out there!

...Just 33 days 'til Brooklyn Smile

-Steve
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   04.03.14 22:13

Sadly no full band videos on youtube by now (except Time Will Tell). Sad 

But if you haven´t seen it already, take a look at our facebook group! Autism Vaccine Blues live in Los Angeles (credit: Didi Bei): https://www.facebook.com/groups/504519206303098/  Very Happy 

Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   19.03.14 15:28

I'm not sure if Dave's newsletter gets sent to everyone or just US/Can followers...so I'm sorry if I'm posting information everyone already knows...but he announced the band lineup for the final three shows of the tour.

Guitar: Pete Steinkopf
Bass: Micahel "Spider" Cotterman
Drums: Brendan Hill

To say I'm excited would be a total understatement. 16 Days 'til Brooklyn!

-Steve
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   19.03.14 16:31

We Europeans got the newsletter as well.

What a band! The Pete on guitar! Sooo jealous!!!

Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   20.03.14 20:24

New date added: April 05 New Brunswick FULL BAND show!

Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   25.03.14 1:14

Susan wrote:

New date added: April 05 New Brunswick FULL BAND show!

I finally buy a ticket for the Philly show and he goes and announces this show which is way closer to where I live. Too bad I can't take 3 days off in a row Sad

Oh well, still excited!
Back to top Go down
Matkins
First Cut
First Cut

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   25.03.14 1:39

I was at the Nashville and Atlanta shows this past week. I'm terrible at estimating crowd numbers, but I would say about 100 or less at each show. He only did an encore in Nashville. He seemed impressed with the Nashville crowd more so than Atlanta. With that said, people at both shows knew all the lyrics and were really excited. I saw lots of Gaslight shirts  Very Happy So many people have told me how great Northcote is. I loved him! Such a humble and lovely man. Tim's keyboards and guitar really complimented Dave's playing. I'm glad I was able to catch these shows and wouldn't have missed them for anything. I'm ready for the full band shows next, though!
Back to top Go down
enola
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   26.03.14 15:12

Thanks for the update, Marla!
I can't believe that the crowds are not bigger than 100 people but probably that's because they play a lot more shows in the US than here in Europe. Very glad to hear that everyone was excited and knew the lyrics though  cheers 

And I am so happy for Matt that people are appreciating him, I hope they all buy his record. And that he will come to Europe with Chuck in summer  Very Happy 

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.
Soren Kierkegaard
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   28.03.14 4:46

enola wrote:
Thanks for the update, Marla!
I can't believe that the crowds are not bigger than 100 people but probably that's because they play a lot more shows in the US than here in Europe. Very glad to hear that everyone was excited and knew the lyrics though  cheers 

And I am so happy for Matt that people are appreciating him, I hope they all buy his record. And that he will come to Europe with Chuck in summer  Very Happy 

Nah dude, I think it's because Dave's way more popular over in Europe. The upstate NY show I went to had probably around 100 people at it to. In the major cities like Philly, NYC, Boston, LA, etc. he draws more. I don't know if the 100 average applies to the rest of the shows on the tour (or if we are guessing right with "100") but I wouldn't doubt it for most of them. Remember the sold out show in Cambridge, MA was only 200 people. He didn't over-saturate the market just because he's playing more shows here. It's a big country! You EU folks like to forget that Wink

1 week till Brooklyn!  bounce 
Back to top Go down
XNYCEMTP
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   05.04.14 18:34

I've never been to a show at the Knitting Factory since it moved from Manhattan to Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It's a relatively small venue (I'd estimate a 250 person capacity) in a neighborhood saturated with live music venues (House of Vans/Music Hall of Williamsburg/Knitting Factory/Trash Bar/etc). I went with my brother, who also accompanied me to the Free at Noon show back in October (I'm not sure if he put any pictures up but he's [at] loveandrent on Instagram). We got there at 7:30 and stood in the rain until they opened the doors at 8. There were only about five people on line in front of us, so we were able to stake out a spot right at the stage, just to the left of Dave's mic.

Northcote came on at 9 and was, as expected, amazing. He played (I believe) three songs in a row off his S/T album before speaking to the crowd. He expressed his gratitude at everyone showing up early and talked about the tour. He joked about being "happy to be out of the Carolina's" and that growing up in rural Canada, he never thought he'd play in New York City. His set was almost an hour and consisted mostly songs off the new album. Since I had bought it at the show in Newburgh, I knew a lot of the songs and was able to sing along. I might be a little self absorbed by saying this, but he definitely looked down and smiled a few times when he saw me singing along. I truly enjoyed his performance and I would absolutely see him if he ever toured the US by himself. I hope this tour has brought him some well deserved exposure and future success.

The turn-around between Northcote and Dave was pretty quick. I think he came on about 10-15 minutes after his set ended. Dave had a huge grin on his face from the minute the show started and the crowd responded by singing along to every word. It was clear that he was happy to be back "home" on the east coast. His energy having the band behind him was very Loved Ones-esque, as he ran around the stage playing and getting the crowd to participate (not that that required much coaxing). He frequently came right to the edge of the stage and there was more than one occasion where I nearly got my hands stepped on or hit in the head with the neck of his guitar! Between songs, he joked about how he thought when they booked the show that they should be playing in Manhattan...but the crowd quickly let him know that Brooklyn was the correct choice. At one point he talked about loving Philadelphia but being happy to have gotten out of "that violent place". There were a few kids (maybe late teens or very early twenties) who responded by saying how violent New York was (I'm not sure where in the city they're from, but NYC is safer then it's been in probably 50 years). Dave laughed and said that the looked like very peaceful dudes and that maybe they should get tattoos or learn kung-fu. Other random things...when he introduced the band he had with him, the crowd went crazy for "Spider" and "The Pete" and Brendan Hill as was noted as being the "coolest suburban soccer dad". He dedicated "The Shine" to "the best band to come out of New Jersey", the Bouncing Souls.

Of course, at every show, there's one idiot. Some guy in a scally cap and Bouncing Souls hoodie tried crowd surfing during WCBK. During the song Dave just kind-of shook his head at him. When it ended, Dave was basically telling him that, although he didn't condone or condemn crowd surfing/stage diving at the show, if he was going to do it he should do it right. Aforementioned idiot said that he tried..."uncle" Dave told him to try harder. The next song was Bricks which Dave played solo. He said it was going to be a quiet song and said, generally, that if you don't like quiet songs go to the bar and get a drink or go to the bathroom. Enter, the idiot...he starts screaming out that he loves Pete, Pete rules, etc...Dave had finally had enough and gave him a look that came from the streets of Philadelphia and just put his finger to his lips to "shush" him. That would be the last we heard from crowd-surfer guy.

There were a number of highlights from the night...so I'll just pick out a few of my favorites...hearing the full band version of "Stockholm Syndrome" was fantastic; as I prefer the louder, more high-energy version to the slower, acoustic version...After "Father's Son" instead of the "Trusty Chords" tag at the end, he chose "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash ("Don't push me, 'cause I'm close to the edge. I'm trying not to lose my head"). Not sure how many people knew what it was but I loved it!... Dave referenced the crowd surfer one last time during "The Shine", when he stepped out onto the crowd for the "If you've got the shine - shine on" portion, stating he was going to "show him how it should be done"...lastly, finally getting to hear "Prague" live! It's one of my favorite songs and until now, I haven't had the chance to see it. Matt was right in front of me and stuck the mic right in my face during the "woah-oh". It was just great.

I hung around after the show ended, hoping to be able to snag a setlist (I think there were five on stage). The two closest to the edge of the stage were grabbed immediately. When Tim came out to help break-down a few people on the right side of the stage asked for them. I (politely) shouted to "show some love to this side" :)I am very grateful because when he brought the setlist over, there was a guy next to me who tried to grab it, Tim pulled it away from him and handed it to me and I thanked him for it.

As I said in my brief recap earlier, I have been going to punk/ rock/ ska/ hard-core shows for 20-ish years. My very first concert was at 14 when I saw Green Day and Pansy Division right after "Dookie" exploded. I've been at venues, large and small, from NYC and Tampa to Watertown, Connecticut (and of course, Newburgh). This show was, without question, one of the highlights of that twenty years. I'm looking forward to Philly tomorrow...but I'm not sure if this show can be topped!

Thanks for reading my (really long winded) review!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   06.04.14 5:01

Steve I think I saw you but I wasn’t sure it was you and kinda lost track of you after the show. I was in the front to the right.

I got there at 6:15 and I’ve never been there before so my friends and I just went into the bar and hung out. We figured out where the guy who was letting people in was and we were like “oh okay, we’ll be the first ones in”. After all, there was only one other couple in the bar when we got there. Then AT 8pm (doors) we realized we completely missed where the box office was and there was a line of like 25 people. I was so angry! But it worked out anyway because I spotted some people I had met earlier and they made room for me in the front in the spot I had hoped to get anyway so it all worked out. Damn you confusing venues!

Singing along with Northcote was a blast like Steve said. I noticed that a good amount of the crowd knew his “bigger hits” at least which was cool.  Steve I think you’re right about him looking at you and smiling because he definitely noticed someone on your side singing along and so he smiled a few times at that person (aka probably you)!

The venue was awesome. There was this cool kind of lip to the stage that Dave was able to not only step up on, but walk along right at the edge of the stage, which he did, a lot. And he went to both sides almost equally which is a miracle because on our side he kept accidently kicking over his beer bottle, or nearly tripping on stuff, etc. it was quite the hazard zone but he did it anyway. That was probably my favorite stage design ever because of that edge.  

Regarding what Steve said about him dedicating “The Shine” to the best band to come out of New Jersey. I think the crowd gets thrown by this because there’s a lot of great bands that came out of Jersey, but fun fact if you didn’t know, “The Shine” in particular the line “shine on” is a reference to the Bouncing Souls. They say “shine on” a lot in “Like the Sun” and I think (don’t ask me how I know this, I have no idea) but I think they got it from their friend Kate (who I think manages them or something) . I think it’s something she says. Obviously I don’t know exactly which aspect of this Dave took the line from but he has confirmed that it’s a reference to them.

Anyway, there are totally pluses and minuses to the full band experience but definitely more on the plus side! It was just so cool to see him front a band (I was a little late to the game with The Loved Ones). Can’t wait for Philly tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
XNYCEMTP
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   06.04.14 5:57

Steve I think I saw you but I wasn’t sure it was you and kinda lost track of you after the show. I was in the front to the right.

There was a roughly middle aged couple right next to me who I was talking to about the Mets and I overheard them mentioning Newburgh to someone...I'm going to assume that was you or the people you were with. There was also a pro-photog there so I'm hoping we get some good pictures from this show!

One other quick Northcote-related item...when I went over to the merch table at the show, Matt was standing there talking to people and there was a long line of people waiting to talk to him or get an autograph, etc...it was really nice to see!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   08.04.14 3:07

XNYCEMTP wrote:

There was a roughly middle aged couple right next to me who I was talking to about the Mets and I overheard them mentioning Newburgh to someone...I'm going to assume that was you or the people you were with. There was also a pro-photog there so I'm hoping we get some good pictures from this show!

One other quick Northcote-related item...when I went over to the merch table at the show, Matt was standing there talking to people and there was a long line of people waiting to talk to him or get an autograph, etc...it was really nice to see!

Oh ok, yeah I was talking to them. I was thinking you were like 1 or two people futher down than that but maybe not. hmm.

Oh yeah she politely asked if we'd move down to make room for her but I was not about to do that. My friend Lorraine also takes professional photos and she's gotten some sick ones during this tour. Not sure if she posted hers from that night yet. She got some beauties in Philly though.

Yeah Northcote was well received there. Which leads me to my review of the Philly show.

Philly = All kinds of great and terrible. At least for me.

The bad: The dude behind me was practically molesting me the whole night. I've been to shows where you don't get personal space but this was a different kind of "too close" And everyone else seemed to get personal space. So that, not gonna lie, ruined the night for me in a lot of ways.

-The crowd also seemed to lack energy. The front 2 rows looked bored. Like they were listening to an opener they've never heard of. Can't speak for the back.

-Northcote got like NOTHING from the crowd. Some decent clapping and a whistle or two but no energy, and they seemed to pay almost no attention. You could tell he was trying to come up with ideas to get a better connection with the crowd but it wasn't working. I talked to him after and I think he wished it had gone better. It really wasn't his fault though. It made me sad so see the tour end like that for him because he's been so fantastic.

-Small thing but the show felt less personal because he was very much playing to his family and friends. So there was a disconnect with the rest of us, at least I thought. BUT...

ok, now for the THE GOOD!:

-...while I have seen Dave Hause happy, but I've NEVER seen him that happy. The expression on his face was awesome. And I'm happy that he was happy.

-The band was excellent as usual. I think Damascus is actually my favorite of the live full band versions of these songs. Never expected that but it went from just being a nice warm up show opener to absolutely being a kick ass way of starting a show. The full band stuff is just awesome in general. The ONLY negative is I think you get a more intimate show when it's just him and Tim but what you lose there is made up for in a million ways.

-First time I heard Becoming Secular on the tour aside from those philly shows in October. If I'm being picky I was hoping for Before but I'll take this, it was a nice treat. He did a decent job varying the setlist.

-Chatted with Dave briefly after and he said he thinks he's supposed to be doing a free show or two in philly this summer. Not sure about anything beyond that.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   08.04.14 13:58

Thank you for your detailed reviews Steve and Shelby!  Smile

PostSubject: Re: Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14   

Back to top Go down

Devour - US/CAN tour 2013/14
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next