Share | 

Damascus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Never Trust A Junkie
First Cut
First Cut

PostSubject: Damascus   11.10.13 7:43

I wondered what the title had to do with the lyrics. I literally Google'd "Damascus Scales" and here's what I found:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/2004/03/Pauls-Conversion-On-The-Road-To-Damascus.aspx

Specifically:
""So Ananias departed and entered the house. And laying his hands on him he said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus who appeared to you on the road by which you came, has sent me that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit." 18: And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. Then he rose and was baptized, 19: and took food and was strengthened. For several days he was with the disciples at Damascus. ""

Saul also is Paul the Apostle. On wikipedia it said this: "The Conversion of Paul, in spite of his attempts to completely eradicate Christianity, is seen as evidence of the power of Divine Grace, with "no fall so deep that grace cannot descend to it"" which I guess could be applied to other references to grace in "Before"?

Anyway, I think it's supposed to be saying Dave's waiting for a revelation that hasn't come to him yet (like he's waiting for his scales to fall).
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back

PostSubject: Re: Damascus   11.10.13 8:15

Nice find! The amount of religious references in this album is incredible and you really learn a lot more about the meaning behind the songs if you know this stuff or if you know which terms to google, like you did here!

I really want to know more about this song. The lines...
"I promised that this wouldn't happen to me.
Now I'm stock piling bullets and vitamin C"

...leave me with all sorts of questions. Anyone have any theories on what he's getting at?

Back to top Go down

Damascus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RankersAndRotters.com :: The Music :: Songs-
Jump to: